Sunday, February 28, 2010

Things I've learned in life


If there is anything I have learned in my renovation experience it's that you make a comprehensive plan in advance, make sure you have all the tools and parts, make sure all the parts you are using actually work, and create a work flow for yourself that follows a logical progression. Over the past couple weeks we re-tiled our shower and followed none of this advice.

Truthfully, we didn't really lay out a plan for ourselves. We just new we wanted subway tile. With a couple bumps in the road, the installation of the cement backer board, the new dyrwall and the tiling went ok. Our biggest mistake was trying to re-use the shower faucet. We thought everything was in working order, but didn't look closely. The seat on the hot water side was corroded and wasn't coming out. So, I went to Home Depot and purchased a new shower faucet. When I got home, I realized that I didn't have all copper fittings so back to HD I went. I think I went back and forth to HD 7 times in the last 2 days all because I didn't follow my own advice. Now, I'm tired.

Next up is building a vanity. I think I plan it out a little better.

1 comment:

A. said...

hopefully you'll have a litte more help with this one ;-)